Frequently asked questions

Can I make improvements to my home?

As part of the Tenant’s Guarantee you have the right to make improvements to your home and in certain circumstances apply for compensation for the improvements you have made if you decide to end your tenancy and leave the property.

Newydd will consider approval for all tenant improvement requests that do not reduce the value of the property, affect the ability to let the property or the appearance of the property. However, please note if your home is a new property you are unable to make an improvement or decorate for the first year.

Where can I park my vehicles?

Please park your car/van/motorbike where is does not cause problems to others.

All vehicles parked on Newydd’s land must be taxed, have a valid MOT, insured, and in a good state of repair. If you have a caravan, boat or commercial vehicle these cannot be parked in a communal area. Please be aware that many estates are now subject to parking restrictions or permits. Any roads that have been adopted by the local authority are subject to public highway regulations.

Can I keep pets?

If you are thinking of keeping a dog or cat at your home you must first get permission. Please use My Newydd or email us at to get in touch. 

What about pets in independent living accommodation?

Independent living accommodation usually has shared areas and access which is not always suitable for keeping pets.

Pets causing a nuisance

If your pet causes a nuisance to others we will let you know and offer advice to help you solve the problem. If the nuisance continues and you are either unwilling or unable to solve the problem, we may have to take legal action against you.

Who is responsible for looking after gardens including communal gardens?

You are responsible for looking after your front and back garden and for keeping it clean and tidy.

If you pay a service charge to cover the cost of cleaning and maintaining a communal garden, Newydd will employ a landscaping contractor to carry out this work.

Regular inspections will be undertaken by staff to ensure the work of the landscaping contractor is to an acceptable standard. Tenants are encouraged to get involved with the inspections of their estates. Contact Newydd on 0303 040 1998 for further information on this.

What does my rent and service charges pay for?

Your rent is the money you pay to Newydd to live in your home. Your rent may include a service charge.

Your service charge pays for things Newydd carries out to your property and on your estate or scheme. These can include things like:

  • Cleaning of internal communal areas
  • Window cleaning
  • Grass cutting and litter picking in communal areas
  • Lighting and heating of communal areas
  • Providing and servicing door entry systems, fire safety equipment or community alarms
  • The cost of an independent living officer in an independent living scheme
  • Other communal items such as lifts, carpets, TV aerials and refuse bins.

Your service charge may cover other items not listed above. If you would like to know exactly what your service charge pays for, please contact Newydd.

Will the cost of renting my home and the service charges change?

Your rent and service charge (if applicable) is renewed in April each year and you will receive a letter giving 8 weeks notice of any changes. This will be around the beginning of February each year.

What if I can't pay my rent? 

If for any reason you are unable to make your rent payment, please contact your housing officer as soon as possible.