To keep you safe in the event of a fire, it is important to know the basic steps you need to take to make your home safer.
Here are some tips:
- Test your smoke alarm - even if it is hardwired, there will be a back-up battery that you will need to replace
- Plan how you would get out if there was a fire in your home. Get to know your building’s evacuation plan
- Remember to close all doors, switch off and unplug your appliances such as TVs every night. Keep your phone and any mobility aids close by if you need them
- Make sure candles are not on or near anything that could catch fire and make sure heaters aren’t covered
- Use a maximum of one plug in each socket and never use them if wet
- Make sure you put out and dispose of cigarettes properly and keep matches and lighters away from children. Never smoke in bed
If you live in a block of flats and would like a copy of our fire safety plan for your building's communal areas, please contact us on 0303 040 1998.
For more information about fire safety visit: