Applying for a home

As a housing association, we offer homes to people in need and, most suited to that particular property. The length of time you may have to wait for a suitable property to become available will vary according to your needs and where you want to live.

First of all, you need to choose which county you would like to live in. Once you have decided on your county you will  need to apply to go on the relevant common housing register as we do not hold our own waiting list. Instead we accept nominations from the council  for our empty properties. Most local authorities have a common housing register or are about to change towards using one.

A common housing register is a list of people that have applied for housing within a given area (usually a local authority area). It is used by housing associations and the council in that area to allocate homes to people with the most need.

Priority for housing is based on an assessment of housing need. The more flexible you are with your choice of accommodation and the area you are prepared to live in, the more likely you are to be successful in bidding for properties. This however still does not guarantee any offer of accommodation.

Rhondda Cynon Taf Council have a common housing register and information on this and other housing options can be found on their Homefinder website.

The common housing register in the Vale of Glamorgan is called Homes4u and advertisements for vacant properties can be found on the Homes4u website. 

Powys County Council’s Common Allocation Scheme can be found here.

Once you have registered with a common housing register you need to bid for vacant properties, these are advertised in a variety of ways. It all depends on which local authority you choose, so please check with them.

If you would like to find out more about how you can bid for a Newydd property please contact us via