Our privacy notice
Who are we?
Newydd Housing Association (1974) Ltd is the data controller. Newydd is a charitable housing association and is a registered society under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014, Newydd is a subsidiary of Newydd Group.
We take privacy seriously
This privacy notice tells you what to expect when Newydd Housing Association collects your personal information. Please click here to view our Data Protection Policy.
Newydd complies with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2018 in relation to personal information that you give to us and ensures that it is not misused. The Regulation defines a set of rules and guidelines we must follow when handling your information, these are referred to as the General Data Protection principles, personal information shall be:
- processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner in relation to individuals;
- collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes and not further processed in a manner that is incompatible with those purposes; further processing for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes shall not be considered to be incompatible with the initial purposes;
- adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes for which they are processed;
- accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date; every reasonable step must be taken to ensure that personal information that are inaccurate, having regard to the purposes for which they are processed, are erased or rectified without delay;
- kept in a form which permits identification of data subjects for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the personal information are processed; personal information may be stored for longer periods insofar as the personal information will be processed solely for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes subject to implementation of the appropriate technical and organisational measures required by the GDPR in order to safeguard the rights and freedoms of individuals.
- processed in a manner that ensures appropriate security of the personal information, including protection against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage, using appropriate technical or organisational measures.
How we use your personal information
The personal information you provide us with will be retained only for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected or as required by law. We do not share personal information with third parties except as necessary to carry out our business or as required by law or other legal processes, and we never sell your personal information or pass it to marketing companies. Personal information collected by us may be transferred to other members of Newydd Group or companies where it is necessary to meet the purpose for which it was submitted.
Newydd record telephone calls made to the organisation for training and monitoring purposes.
Sharing your information
Newydd Housing Association will only disclose your personal information to third parties with your consent, however we may sometimes need to share information without your consent to comply with any legal obligation or to fulfil the purposes for which it was submitted.
Newydd will not transfer your personal information outside of the EU unless there is adequate protection in place.
Right to data portability
When processing your personal information to fulfil a contract to which you are a party, you have the right to request electronically held personal information to enable easy transfer to another organisation. Where it is technically feasible you may request that the information be transferred directly between organisations. Once the request is made, the information should be provided to you within 1 month.
Right to be forgotten
You have the right to have the information we hold on you deleted where the use of that information would no longer meet the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation. Once the request is made, the information must be deleted within 1 month.
Where the information in question has been made public or transferred to a third party, we must also take reasonable steps to inform those third parties about the request for deletion including any links to, or copies of that personal information. The above does not apply when it is necessary to keep the information in relation to legal proceedings, to comply with a statutory obligation, or to perform tasks in the public interest.
Right to rectification, to object and to restriction of processing
- Rectification: you have the right to have inaccurate and incomplete information about you rectified and completed.
- Right to object: in certain circumstances, you have the right to object your personal information being processed. Depending on the legal basis for processing, this may either be an absolute right (i.e. direct marketing), or may be subject to us being able to demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds which would override your own interests, or where the information is needed for the purposes of legal claims.
- Right to restriction: you have the right to request that information is no longer processed (other than it being stored) in particular circumstances, such as when we are dealing with the correction of any inaccurate information; the processing is unlawful but you object to its erasure; or the information is no longer needed but you require the information to be kept for the purposes of a legal claim.
You have the right to withdraw consent to us processing your personal information at any time so long as the information is not part of a statutory or contractual requirement/obligation. We would however like you to be aware that this may affect the quality of service we can provide to you. For example, we need to know the composition of your family so that we can allocate a suitably sized property to you.
You have the right to object to direct marketing from the association, this may include post repair surveys, tenant satisfaction questionnaires, tenant profiling etc. To withdraw consent at any time, please contact the Data Protection Officer.
How can I see the information you hold about me?
Newydd Housing Association recognises its responsibility for protecting the privacy of your personal information. You have a legal right to see the personal information we hold about you; this is called a subject access request and by law we have 1 month to respond to you. We will seek to comply with your request however there may be some circumstances where it may not be possible to comply with your request fully, i.e., we may refuse or charge for requests that are manifestly unfounded or excessive. If your request is refused, we will write to you within 1 month to advise, you will then have the right to complain to the supervisory authority and to a judicial remedy.
If you wish to submit a subject access request, please contact the Data Protection Officer.
How long does the Group keep your information?
We have a document retention policy in place which outlines how long we keep different types of information for, please click here to view the schedule. This policy is regularly reviewed based around good practice guidance issued by the National Housing Federation.
Information we collect via our website
We collect various types of information from visitors to our websites.
We do not pass on any personal information you have given us to any other site, the system will record information if volunteered to us by you, for example on the online forms. This will be treated as confidential.
You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s (ICO) Office if you think there is a problem with the way in which Newydd Housing Association are handling your information. To contact the ICO, please call 0303 123 1113 or visit their website at https://ico.org.uk/
The role of Data Protection Officer is carried out by the Corporate Officer, if you have any questions about the administration of your personal information please contact us on 0303 040 1998 or at:
Newydd Housing Association,