Service Charge Contracts

Newydd has tendered the majority of its service contracts, which carry a service charge that we pass on to tenants. Newydd's tenants and staff will be given the opportunity to assess various tenders and agree contractor selection. If you pay a service charge and have a query regarding the quality of the work please contact the maintenance team on 0303 040 1998.

Home improvements

Before you make any alterations to your home you must write to us to obtain permission.

We have to ensure that your home is not damaged or made unsafe. In some cases you will also have to obtain Planning Permission or Building Regulations Approval from the local authority. An alteration is anything which is an addition or change to the property or its gas, electrical or water supply.

Examples of the most common alterations are:

  • Moving/removing fitted units or doors
  • Modifications to central heating
  • Plumbing in washing machines or other appliances
  • Building patios
  • Knocking down walls
  • Double glazing
  • Fitting a gas fire or building a feature fireplace
  • Enclosing porches
  • Extensions
  • Additional fencing
  • Satellite dishes
  • Fitting different light switches
  • Adding or moving electric points

All electrical and gas works must be completed by a qualified person and a copy of the certificate must be supplied to us. Your rent will not increase as a result of any improvements you make, but you will be responsible for repairs. If you do not obtain permission you may be charged to repair or restore your home. At the termination of your tenancy you may qualify for a compensation payment, less an allowance for depreciation, for an improvement or alteration you carried out after 1st April 1994. It is important to note that you must have had written permission from us prior to any work being carried out. Please contact us for more information.