Types of repairs
Newydd’s office is open Monday-Friday 9am-5pm. Outside of these hours, we will respond to emergency repairs only. Please see below for a list of typical emergency repairs.
An emergency is defined as something which could not have been foreseen and which could cause danger to health, tenants’ safety, or serious damage and destruction to property. Our emergency call out maintenance team will usually make safe to enable full and proper repairs to be undertaken during normal working hours. The types of work they attend include:
• Severe roof leaks
• Burst pipes
• Blocked drains
• Blockage of your only toilet
• Loss of electrical power or light
• Loss of gas
• Loss of heating in cold weather where there is no other form of
• Loss of immersion heater if this is the only source for hot water
We recognise that pensioners and vulnerable tenants will need special consideration in certain circumstances. If a contractor is called out to carry out a repair as an emergency when an emergency repair is not justified, then you are liable to be charged for all costs concerned.
To report an emergency repair, please call 0303 040 1998. Please do not report an emergency repair via Newydd’s website or social media.
Emergency repairs will be carried out within 24 hours.
These are repairs which materially affect your comfort or convenience. In certain circumstances these repairs could be treated as emergencies.
The list includes:
• Partial loss of electrical power or light
• Unsafe power, lighting socket or electrical fitting
• Partial loss of water or gas supply
• Loss or partial loss of space or water heating
• Blocked or leaking drains, or soil stack
• Toilet blocked or not flushing
• Blocked sink, bath or basin
• Tap which cannot be turned
• Leak from water or heating pipe, tank or cistern
• Leaking roof
• Insecure external window, door or lock
• Loose or detached stair hand rail
• Rotten timber floor or stair tread
• Door entry phone not working
• Extract fan not working in a kitchen or bathroom with no other ventilation.
Urgent repairs will be completed within 7 days.
These are less urgent repairs that can wait a short time before being dealt with and include minor problems with toilets, baths, sinks, doors or windows sticking, plaster repairs, brickwork, and other non urgent internal and external repairs.
Routine repairs will be completed within 28 days.
Where maintenance can be planned in advance we can arrange for it to be done on a group of homes at the same time, so as to keep costs down. This will include work to your home to ensure that it remains in good order, and provides safe accommodation for you and your family. Examples include external painting, repairs to doors and windows in preparation for painting, boiler replacement, annual servicing of gas appliances and central heating, and inspection and testing of appliances that we supply.
You will be contacted in advance by the contractor or ourselves to carry out any surveys which may be required prior to the work commencing.