Applying for a home

As a housing association we offer homes to people most suited to that particular property. The length of time you may have to wait for a suitable property to become available will vary according to your needs and where you want to live.

First of all you need to choose which county you would like to live in. Once you have decided on your county you will most likely need to then register with the common housing register. Most local authorities have a common housing register or are about to change towards using one.

A common housing register is a list of people that have applied for housing within a given area (usually a local authority area). It is used by housing associations and the council in that area to allocate homes to people with the most need.

Priority for housing is based on an assessment of housing need. The more flexible you are able to be with your choice of accommodation and the area you are prepared to live in, the more likely you are to be successful in bidding for properties. This however still does not guarantee any offer of accommodation.

Rhondda Cynon Taf Council have a common housing register and information on this and other housing options can be found on their Homefinder RCT website.

The common housing register in the Vale of Glamorgan is called Homes4u and advertisements on vacant properties can be found in local newspapers in the Vale of Glamorgan.

Powys County Council have recently set up their common housing registerand more information can be found on their website.

The Cardiff County Council common housing register can be found on their website.

Once you have registered with a common housing register you need to bid for vacant properties, these are advertised in a variety of ways, through local newspapers, websites and by post. It all depends on which local authority you choose.

For homes in the Neath Port Talbot area please fill in this application form and send it back to Cherie, our Lettings Coordinator by emailing If you have any questions please ask for Cherie when calling 0303 040 1998.