Our privacy notice
Who are we?
Newydd Housing Association (1974) Ltd is the data controller and is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office. Newydd is a charitable housing association and is a registered society under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014, Newydd is a subsidiary of the Cadarn Housing Group.
We take privacy seriously
This privacy notice tells you what to expect when Newydd Housing Association collects your personal information. Newydd complies with the Data Protection Act 1998 in relation to personal data that you give to us and ensures that it is not misused. The Act defines a set of rules and guidelines we must follow when handling your information, these are referred to as Data Protection principles, personal data must be:
1. Processed fairly and lawfully.
2. Processed only for one or more specified and lawful purpose.
3. Adequate, relevant and not excessive for those purposes.
4. Accurate and kept up to date - data subjects have the right to have inaccurate personal data corrected or destroyed if the personal information is inaccurate to any matter of fact.
5. Kept for no longer than is necessary for the purposes it is being processed.
6. Processed in line with the rights of individuals - this includes the right to be informed of all the information held about them, to prevent processing of their personal information for marketing purposes, and to compensation if they can prove they have been damaged by a data controller's non-compliance with the Act.
7. Secured against accidental loss, destruction or damage and against unauthorised or unlawful processing - this applies to you even if your business uses a third party to process personal information on your behalf.
8. Not transferred to countries outside the European Economic Area - the EU plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein - that do not have adequate protection for individuals' personal information, unless a condition from Schedule four of the Act can be met.
How we use your personal information
The personal information you provide us with will be retained only for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected or as required by law. We do not share personal information with third parties except as necessary to carry out our business or as required by law or other legal processes, and we never sell your personal information or pass it to marketing companies. Personal data collected by us may be transferred to other members of the Cadarn Housing Group or companies where it is necessary to meet the purpose for which it was submitted.
During your tenancy, we may collect information from you and your household (categories of information may include name, date of birth, gender, financial details, racial/ethnic origin, contact information, employment details etc.) We do this to:
• Manage your tenancy and the property it relates to
• Monitor compliance with the terms of your tenancy agreement
• Allow us to be able to communicate and provide services appropriate to your needs
• Monitor Equality and Diversity.
Newydd Housing Association will only disclose your personal information to third parties with your consent, however we may sometimes need to share information without your consent for the purposes outlined above or to comply with any legal obligation. These third parties may include but are not limited to:
• Contractors, to carry out repairs to your property
• Local authorities and government departments, for housing benefit claims etc.
• The Police for crime prevention cases
• Electricity and gas suppliers at the commencement of your tenancy
• Debt collection agencies, to recover unpaid arrears
• Welsh Water
Newydd may from time to time apply markers to your tenancy (such as vulnerability, health status etc.) this is to assist us in tailoring the services we deliver to you. It is therefore important to ensure you notify us of any changes to your personal information.
How can I see the information you hold about me?
Newydd Housing Association recognises its responsibility for protecting the privacy of your personal information. You have a legal right to see the personal information we hold about you; this is called a subject access request and by law we have 40 calendar days to respond to you. We will seek to comply with your request however there may be some circumstances where it may not be possible to comply with your request fully. If you wish to submit a subject access request or have any other questions about the administration of your personal information, please contact us on 0303 040 1998 or at:
Data Protection Manager
Newydd Housing Association,
We also have a standard form that you can complete detailing the information you wish to view, please contact the Data Protection Manager on the above telephone number/address to request a copy. Please note, a charge of £10 may be applied to administer certain requests.
How long the Group keeps your information
We have a document retention policy in place which outlines how long we keep different types of information for. This policy is regularly reviewed based around good practice guidance.
Information we collect via our website
We collect various types of information from visitors to our websites.
We do not pass on any personal information you have given us to any other site, the system will record information if volunteered to us by you, for example on the online forms. This will be treated as confidential.
You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s (ICO) Office if you think there is a problem with the way in which Newydd Housing Association are handling your data. To contact the ICO, please call 0303 123 1113 or visit their website at https://ico.org.uk/